“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.”
Sustainability Starts with YOU
Yes we said YOU! Give yourself a congratulatory self hug. It is because of you that Chico State’s value of sustainability is gaining momentum. You have already taken the first step by being interested enough to find yourself on this page. The next step is to take in some green event ideas and put them into action at your event. Don’t let the environmental revolution lose its strength, because together we can practice mindfulness in respect for the environment to improve local and global impacts.
In recent years, one of the ways we largely reduced waste at Chico State events was by Conscious Collection. Conscious Collection is gathering event waste and diverting it from the landfill. We did this by being able to compost the leftover food in addition to the compostable cutlery items (paper plates, cups, napkins, etc). Unfortunately the ability to compost these cutlery items has recently been put on hold. As we are searching to find another alternative solution there are still plenty of ways to reduce an event’s carbon footprint.
Below are some guides that can help you plan a greener event:
- A Guide to Planning Green Events & Meetings at Chico State (pdf)
- Use compostable cutlery, plates and bowls, and recycled napkins. Even though we cannot compose these items on our campus right now, it is still better than other common paper and plastic products! AS Catering also uses these products.
Why Plan a Green Event?
- Save money in the long run
- Conserve resources
- Provide a model for others to follow
- Leave a positive impact and lasting impression
- Feel better about your event
- Transition to thinking long term over short term for annual events
- Be more in control of your event’s carbon footprint
Quick & Easy Tips
- Server finger foods that require no dishes or utensils (use napkins and toothpicks instead)
- Water stations
- Encourage people to BYO cup or canteen
- Invest in real cloth tablecloths or reuse for annual events
- Register/post on the new Chico State app to notify students there is free leftover food
- Drop the date, create reusable posters and signage with a blank area to fill in a new date each year so that it can be reused every year
- Go organic
- Support local businesses, farmers markets, restaurants, etc.
Not-so-environmentally-friendly things to avoid:
- Styrofoam (hot food easily absorbs the chemicals in styrofoam too)
- Plastic bottles and plastic tablecloths
- Balloon decorations
- Plastic straws
- If you must use plastic utensils like fork and spoons, just choose one to cut waste in half
- Individually packaged items
- Single use items
On behalf of AS Sustainability at Chico State, we would like to express our gratitude and thank you for reaching out in an effort to learn how to stand up for the environment. Happy greening!