First-Year Leadership Opportunity (FLO) is an Associated Student program designed specifically for first-year students looking for ways to get involved with the Chico State campus and community. Each month one member is chosen by their fellow FLO members and peers as the person who has stood out and shown FLO’s core values. This month's FLO representative is Corina Leal.

What inspired you to get involved with FLO, and how long have you been a
member?
I joined FLO because I wanted to be more connected and involved within the community. I wanted to learn more about the resources around campus and make more friendships. I have been a member of FLO since the fall semester of 2023. FLO has inspired me to talk to new people and not be afraid to get out of my comfort zone.

flo

How has FLO affected or influenced your experiences here at Chico State?
FLO has made my first-year experience easier. It has allowed me to take a breather and a break from studying. It has helped me find a home here in Chico. In addition, FLO has allowed me to be more connected with my peers.

flo

How has your involvement with FLO impacted your personal and professional
life?

The benefits of joining FLO are numerous and it has helped me with setting up resumes, learning sustainability and service, etc. I was unaware of many of the opportunities and resources on campus that we have and joining FLO has allowed me to gain access to those opportunities. For example, I didn’t know that there was The Well on campus and had never been inside and we were able to tour it. FLO has impacted my personal life by developing leadership skills that I can use in my daily life.

How has your participation in FLO helped you to grow and develop as a leader or advocate in your own right?

flo

My participation in FLO has helped me develop more leadership skills, social skills, and communication skills. I have learned to not be afraid to speak up for myself and others. The activities we do have made me use my critical thinking skills and become more creative. I have learned to advocate for myself and learned to be open-minded as well.