We, the Associated Student Government Affairs Committee of Chico State, stand in solidarity with all those affected by the ongoing loss of life and conflict in Palestine and Israel, irrespective of their nationality, religion, or ethnic background. We stand to promote an equitable and compassionate exchange of Jewish and Muslim voices with the intent to foster a democratic environment in which Palestinians and Israelis, Muslims and Jews, have full human and civil rights.
None of us are immune to the chronic influx of news and social media, which have notably been plagued with rumor, disinformation, propaganda, and triggering content. Resources for support and education are provided below. We request students to diligently evaluate all news in an era of rapid information dissemination before taking a stance. We stand against any racism, discrimination, and otherwise disrespectful acts of islamophobia, anti-semitism. We stand against glorification of violence on our campus and seek communal peace and safety.
Additionally, we condemn the taking of hostages (100*) and the slaughter of over 1,400* innocent Israeli civilians by the terrorist organization Hamas. We critically denounce the subsequent inhumane decision to continuously bomb (6,000+ bombs*), massacre, and wound innocent Palestinians (3,500+; 11,000+, respectively*), where Yoav Gallant, Minister of Defense, vowed that “no electricity, no food, no water, no fuel” will enter Gaza for the over 2 million Palestinians, half of which are children, that are trapped there, punished unjustly on account of Hamas. It is crucial to recognize that the Palestinian-Israeli conflict is not a singular event. It is an accumulation of complex historical, religious, social, and political dimensions over centuries that have intensified in the last 75 years.
We remain unequivocally committed to promoting the rights of students’ freedom of speech and right to a sense of safety and belonging on and off campus. Disagreement and discourse are a critical part of higher education. We, therefore, implore students to treat one another with dignity and respect during these difficult times. Government Affairs exists to promote our core values of Diversity, Service, Sustainability, and Wellness, including the act of advocacy, and encourage students to reach out to our office for information on getting involved and supporting one another.
- Emotional Support Services Available for Those Impacted by Conflict in the Middle East – Office of the President – Chico State
- Hillel International Initiative to Confront Antisemitism on College Campuses Welcomes 10 New Schools
- Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities; Replaces EM 96-038 – Office of the President – Chico State
- Associated Students
- Student Life and Leadership (SLL) – Chico State
- WellCat Counseling Center – Chico State
- Free Speech & Advocacy – Chico State
- Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- Fake Or Real? How To Self-Check The News And Get The Facts- NPR
- Is it legit? Five steps for vetting a news source- News Literacy Project
- ADL Debunk: Myths and False Narratives About the Israel-Hamas War- Anti-Defamation League
- Israel-Palestine: Everything you need to know - Vox
- Statement by UNICEF Executive Director Catherine Russell on deteriorating situation for children in Israel and the State of Palestine
- Pyramid of Hate- Anti-Defamation League
- Israel - Immigration, Conflict, Middle East | Britannica
- Palestine | History, People, Conflict, & Religion | Britannica